Friday, August 8, 2008

The Bumbo Milestone

In the lengthy list of physical milestones infants wiz through these days, there is a recent addition - the ability to sit in the Bumbo chair! It happens anywhere from 2-4 months, at that stage when your child can hold their head up and "sit" (with a little help).

It is a fantastic little invention - according to their website "The Bumbo Baby Sitter is a revolutionary new concept in baby seats. It is uniquely designed to fit a baby’s posture. The Bumbo seat enables babies to sit up independently..."

Independent? Did I hear someone say 'independent'? Sign me up!

You see, Carter loves to hold his head up all the time these days, but he HATES 'tummy time' and because my back can only take propping him up on my shoulder for so many hours each day, a few weeks ago I decided it was time to prop him up in the Bumbo to see how he fared.

The first few attempts were only marginally successful - he didn't quite have the stamina he needed to control his head so he'd start out strong but end up slumped over. Periodically we would give it another go, though (usually when my back was about to give out!), and today was one of those days.

At first I thought it was going to be more of the same because he immediately hunched over, but as I was about to pick him up, I realized he was hunched over because he was studying his feet! The Bumbo gave him the perfect view of his little piggies! :)




So, I guess it's time to check yet another milestone off the list - the Bumbo milestone! :)

No comments: