Monday, August 25, 2008

10 Years and 100 Days

This past weekend I had the privilege of accompanying my husband to his 10 year high school reunion, and today, well today is Carter's 100th day of life! At first I thought I would simply be rolling two posts into one, but after giving it some thought, the two topics really go hand-in-hand.

In Korea, on the 100th day after a child's birth, a small feast is prepared to celebrate the child's having survived this difficult period.

My aunt is Korean, but I'd never really heard of the 100 day celebration before I came across it on a TV show I saw back when I was pregnant and actually watched TV. The thought of celebrating a milestone in days as opposed to weeks, months or years made me laugh because Stephen has a good friend who actually calculated (and if I'm not mistaken tried to throw a party for) his 10,000th day of life. This particular friend is an actuary - surprised? Yea, me neither. Anyway, if Brian can celebrate his 10,000th day, I decided we can celebrate Carter's 100th.

Now I have no doubt that the 100 day celebration originated from the fact that the infant mortality rate drops significantly around this time - even in this modern day and age of advanced medicine and pediatric care, eight weeks marks a significant point in a child's immune development and 12 weeks marks a significant point in their mental and emotional development.

Ten years out of high school really is a milestone too. Much like it's incredibly hard to believe Carter is already 100 days old, it's equally hard to believe it's been 10 years since we graduated!

Contrary to what my younger sister (who is currently starting her junior year) would believe about me, I am still young! High school feels like it was yesterday!! But, when I sit down and realy think about what all Stephen and I have accomplished and what all we've been through in the past 10 years - it's a lot. I'd venture to say it's almost as remarkable as what Carter has accomplished in the past 100 days.

I guess it just goes to show, whether it's 10 years or 100 days, time truly does fly when you are having fun! :)

A special 'thank you' has to go to Stephen's parents and friends for making this weekend so memorable. Stephen's parents made Carter's first overnight trip very special (and very easy on mom and dad). They watched Carter for us during events, and they even watched him when we didn't have anything going on so we could get a little extra sleep. And the get-togethers were a great - I had a blast and I know Stephen did too. Stephen's graduating class is just the best group of people you could possibly imagine - so genuine and fun-loving. For a graduating class that has seen their unfair share of tragedy, I think they have come out closer for it. And oh my gosh did they celebrated in style - Victoria style! Of course, we forgot our camera for the big event Saturday night, but here's one from the weekend of Stephen's good friend Megan and her little girl Avery who is 1 day older than Carter (so happy 101th b-day to her :)!


No comments: