Friday, March 6, 2009

Grandad's Songs

For my dad's benefit I've created this playlist with some songs by my Grandad. My cousin Todd posted the url's on Grandad's memorial blog gfrmem.blogspot.com, but Dad was having trouble navigating the whole copy-paste-play thing, so I posted them here for him to listen to. The recordings are old, my aunt recorded these songs over 20 years ago, so you may have to turn up the volume a little.

Grandad was quite the performer on the piano, and was always happy to sit down at the piano to ham it up with a little (very little) prodding. Actually the picture I have on the post My Hero's Hero is of my grandad at his piano (relocated to Little Rock). He was almost completely deaf at the time the photo was taken, so he couldn't hear himself playing, but he knew the notes, and was picking out 'Ragtime Cowboy Joe'. Needless to say, it was a really special moment, and I'm so glad I was there to capture it.

Thank you Aunt Patty for recording and sharing these and Todd for converting and uploading them - this is just an amazing treasure.




I'm going to try to post the html code for this playlist for any family or friends of Grandad who'd like to post it on their own blogs (or to their myspace page)...here goes nothing:



Copy the code above. Then sign into your blog and go to the 'customize' section. Click on the 'layout' tab. Select 'Add a Gadget' Select the HTML/Java Script gadget. Paste the copied code into the box and hit 'save'.

As for myspace, it's been a while since I posted anything there, but I think if you go to the 'about me' page and paste the code in whatever section you want the playlist to appear, it should work.

Let me know if it doesn't work!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your blog and the music. I blogged about it.

http://ragtimepiano.blogspot.com/2009/03/grandad-rag-player.html

The Riddells said...

I love that! So great and so special!!!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Did a google search to find out about a weird letter we received for free travel and I found your blog. What a treasure to have these recorded songs from your Grandfather! It brought tears to my eyes, really. I come from a family of musicians and I know the joy it brings to have music be a part of growing up. I'm happy that you had that, and happy to have the copy of your Grandfather's songs! Thanks! :o)

Erica said...

I just started following your blog recently, so first I wanted to say I'm sorry you lost your Grandad. And thank you so much for sharing the recordings of him singing! I have enjoyed them so much! I can't decide which is my favorite, Five Foot Two Eyes of Blue or Please Don't Blow Your Horn. He was definitely a gifted man. And his laugh is one of those that makes your heart warm. Its so wonderful to have it recorded.

Erica