Monday, February 2, 2009

5k

I ran in a 5k this past weekend (that's me in the green!), and I'm very proud to report I not only completed it in one piece, but I ran the entire thing! I completed the race in just under 36 minutes (35:21.7 to be precise) meaning I clocked an impressive pace of 11:24/M - a personal best!

Ok, ok. I know that's laughably slow, and I'll admit there were people actually walking next to me during stretches, but I didn't walk, I ran, and that was huge for me. That's the furthest I've ever run in my whole life by more than a mile! And you wanna know what the first thought that crossed my mind when I finished was?? "Wow, I could have gone for a lot longer!" So I've signed up for a 10k. March 29th, Mr. C and I will be running in the Statesmen Capital 10k in Austin, TX. It's 8 weeks from now and I start training today (well, technically I started yesterday, but Mondays are rest days :). I'm hoping to even improve upon my pace a smidge....dare I hope for 10 minute mile??? Hey, a girl can dream!

Anyway, this is going to be interesting trying to fit training for this 10k in with my triathlon training because I'm just not sure how much my very out-of-shape body can handle. I think I've got it figured out, though. The 8 week program I found online for the 10k incorporates cross training each week, so those days I will swim to give my legs a break. Every other week I'll swap a run day for a bike day, and when the race is over, I'll focus on biking and swimming and only run once a week. What do you think?? I'd really love input and feedback from more experienced athletes!!

No comments: