Sunday, November 28, 2010

I shoot from the hip.

I'm a straight shooter. I call a spade a spade. I'm scrappy and I don't take kindly to BS, or being taken advantage of. If you mess with my family, you mess with me. I'm loud and opinionated and full of unsolicited advice, and I absolutely pride myself on the fact that I don't let me people walk all over me. You're either going to love me or hate me, but the way I see it is, if God wanted me otherwise, he would have created me otherwise.

My immediate family is more or less the same way. We're loud and abrupt, and fiercely loyal to one another. Family gatherings are always entertaining, and there is usually drama or fireworks at some point, and that's just how I grew up. We embrace conflict as a part of normal familial relations. It clears the air and makes us closer and stronger.  I like to call it the, 'Lather, Rinse, Repeat as needed' philosophy.

You know that old saying, 'opposites attract'? Well, let's just say Mr. C's philosophies on airing family grievances are a tad more reserved. For five years I've worked really hard to keep my scrappy side in-check especially around the in-laws because I've learned the hard way speaking without thinking is like shooting without aiming.

While I don't foresee hanging up my hat or turning in my badge anytime soon, I have some advice for all you fellow quick-draws; happy trails with in-laws are paved by keeping your side arm holstered and your mouth shut.  Remember, their ranch, their rules. So happy trails to you, until we meet again.  Happy trails to you, keep smilin' until then.

No comments: